Monday 18 May 2020

Tie Dye DIY Using Bleach

I think it's pretty cool considering I only used bleach. 
Tie-dye is back in fashion. Was it ever out of fashion? Not if you ask me. I don't know where or even if fabric dye is available here in Egypt to the general public, so I decided I'd try it using bleach. I found a Youtube video tutorial and got to it.

I took photos throughout, unsure if it would actually work or look decent. I'm actually really happy with the end result. 

Here's how to get a groovy tie-dye shirt in 9 easy steps.


  1. Find a T-shirt that you wouldn't mind possibly ruining.  
  2. Wet the T-shirt thoroughly. You want it damp, but not dripping wet, so wring it out.
  3. Use a fork to spin the T-shirt around itself from the middle.
  4. Wrap any extra pieces in the same direction as your swirl.
  5. Secure this with 3 rubber bands to keep the T-shirt tightly spun.
  6. Place it in a bucket or washing basin. 
  7. Use an old water bottle and fill it with half water and half bleach. Poke a hole in the top.
  8. Squirt the bleach on both sides of the bundle and let it sit for about half an hour.
  9. Remove the rubber bands and rise your T-shirt well with plenty of water.
And there you have it. You've breathed new life into an old T-shirt. I would wash it alone the first time before putting it in with the rest of your laundry to avoid any residual bleach from ruining your clothes.

Here it is after drying.
I was expecting varying shades of blue but was pleasantly surprised when the T-shirt turned out mostly pink. Maybe if I had left it longer, but I really like the way it turned out. It's colorful and I only used bleach. If you use a black T-shirt, you can achieve an orange-y tie-dye effect. We will definitely be doing this again.

Would you give this a try?

No comments:

Post a Comment