Saturday 9 May 2020

How To Make Origami Stars


These origami stars are different than the ninja stars that come to mind when someone says "origami star".

My love of these started when a girl came into my sociology class carrying a large jar of little orange stars. People thought they were candy and asked her for some. She explained it was a gift for her friend, 1000 folded paper stars. I thought to myself, that must have taken a lot of time and effort. She must really care about that friend. I later looked for these in one of those beautiful Asian stationary stores that have tons of Hello Kitty stuff and other equally adorable items.

The tiny, puffy, paper stars originate from the land of all things kawaii, Japan. They are used as a symbol of love and good luck and people often make a jar of 1000 stars to gift to a loved one. I just think they're really cute and pretty.


I recently made this using a RIBBA frame from IKEA and roughly 275-300 stars. It's hanging in my room, bringing me joy on the regular. I learned how to make these years ago but I could never find the paper strips here in Egypt, until recently. It might look difficult, but it's an easy process once you get the hang of it. 

So, full disclosure: I was going to make a video tutorial but I'm in dire need of a manicure right now and I wouldn't subject anyone to such a sight. 

The video below does a good job of showing the steps quite clearly. It's also easier to learn with the larger strips of paper she's using. 


You can even measure and cut your own strips of paper. It could be a nice quarantine activity. They look great in anything glass and can even be strung with thread for a decorative garland. 

Give it a try and let me know if you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment